4/19/12

{Adventures} Oxbow Reptile Fest, Columbus, GA

Our latest discovery around here is a place called Oxbow Meadows. It's an environmental learning center affiliated with Columbus State University. Their Annual Reptile Fest was last weekend, so we decided to check it out because I heard there were turtles...

Oxbow is home to a few gators.

This is Franklin, a rescued African tortoise. There were four giant tortoises at Oxbow, and all of them were rescues from Africa. Theses tortoises aren't normally here on regular days (just on-loan for this event).

And this one is Pedro! He is estimated to be about 25 years old.

I fed Pedro lettuce... I think we both had a good time.


We also explored a few nature trails at Oxbow. Lots of swampy ponds and lakes, too. This place definitely had a "reptile" atmosphere. ;) There's also a treetop platform tour you can participate in.


You might as well call it TURTLE Fest from my pictures. There were snakes and alligators, too, but I'm not really a snake person, so... I just hung out with the turtles.

11 comments:

  1. This is great! It brought back memories of Squirt's (was it Squirt?)escape attempt a few years ago, when we thought he was dead! I have learned much about turtle care over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was Squirt, the little escapee. Haha I will always remember my turtle-shaped balloon that you & Ben made for me. :)

      Delete
  2. Eek....this blog makes me super happy!!! I love, love, LOVE turtles...lol I'm literally tearing up at your pics because seeing turtles makes me extremely happy! Sam named his lil guy Squirt, it will make him smile that you had one called Squirt too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! Hahaha... yeah, I was pretty excited, too! How neat that little Sam named his turtle Squirt!! Fun!! I bet he's loving him!

      Delete
  3. looks like fun, love your sunnies too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miriam! :) I couldn't resist buying them!

      Delete
  4. You are beautiful
    + your Philly glasses ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back 'atcha pretty girl. :) And thank you! I love them;) Thanks for the encouragement to buy them! Haha

      Delete
  5. I love turtles! If they weren't so smelly I'd have a few as pets. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes they are a bit on the smelly side! The aquatic ones weren't as noticeable though...

      Delete

  6. The Adventures Oxbow Fest promises an educational and thrilling experience. What Game Best It offers a close encounter with fascinating creatures.

    ReplyDelete